Bordighera Press is a non-profit publisher of Italian-American literature since 1989. We publish works spanning award-winning poetry and prose to groundbreaking scholarship and research.
Bordighera Press has an international presence as the foremost publisher of italianità in North America.
We are seeking fiction, essays, critical studies, creative nonfiction, graphic novels, sui generis, and beyond relating to Italy, Italian America, or are written by Italian Americans. [Please note: we only accept poetry manuscripts through our annual poetry contest.]
Please send to us:
- an excerpt or the completed manuscript
- a brief description of the project (200 words or less)
- a brief bio including publishing history (75 words or less)
The Lauria/Frasca Poetry prize was conceived to promote the literature of the Italian diaspora and is open to poets of Italian descent writing poetry in English. The winning poet will be awarded $1000 and Bordighera Press will publish the manuscript, along with a standard royalty contract. Two runner-up manuscripts will receive standard royalty contracts.
Quality poetry in any style and on any theme is sought.
- Original English work only; no translations.
- Manuscripts will be judged anonymously. Do not include your name anywhere in your manuscript file or file name, but only in your Submittable profile and cover letter. Any manuscript with identifying information will be removed from consideration.
- All manuscript pages must be numbered and include the title of the poem.
- The completed manuscript should range from 48 – 70 pages (on standard 8.5 x 11 inch paper, 12 pt Times New Roman, single-spaced except between stanzas with no more than one poem to a page though a poem may run on to more than one page).
- Poems included in the submission may have appeared in literary magazines, journals, anthologies, or other such collections. Include an acknowledgments page, if applicable.
- Poems previously published in a single-author book should not be included.
- Simultaneous submissions are accepted; please notify us immediately should a manuscript be accepted for publication elsewhere.
- Electronic submissions through Submittable only.
- Entry Fee: $20.
- Multiple manuscripts may be submitted; each manuscript must be accompanied by a separate entry fee.
- Authors who have previously published full length works with Bordighera Press are not eligible.
Approaching thirty years of VIA: Voices in Italian Americana, we are looking back to move forward. Our upcoming of issues will be rooted in such foundational texts as From the Margin and the recent article “When We Were the Muslims” and reaching outwards.
We are seeking critical and creative works that reflect on two sides of identity, experience and tradition. Experience explores what it means to be between two cultures, two ways of life, two habits, two languages, two genders, two heritages, two selves. Tradition reflects on particular customs, cultural touchstones, and figures that have come from Italy and/or have grown out of traditionally Italian American neighborhoods. Open to all individuals, we want fiction, essays, poetry, critical studies, creative nonfiction, comic strips and on and on and on that delve into these facets of identity.
Note: All submissions are limited to 5000 words.